Saturday, September 11, 2010

week 3

We had a simple week. I was going to do school on Mon. but at the last minute decided to take it off. We stayed home and hung out together. I did some creative thinking on our day off and came up with a couple clever ideas.

#1. my 3rd grader is converting measurements and he isn't very thrilled with doing it. He is, however, thrilled at playing games. So I took some 3x5 cards and wrote converted measures on them and then played a game of concentration. (example) if he turned over 3 feet, his match would have to be 1 yard. He wanted to play this game all week! It helped him so much.

#2 When my son reads out loud to me, I have started reading out loud with him. We read together the first time and then he reads it out loud alone. I heard dyslexic children read with a book and cd together, so they can hear and see it at the same time. My son is not dyslexic, but does tend to rush when reading and then ends up "making up" words, instead of taking his time to sound it out. This has been SO helpful to him, he's doing so good now at watching his punctuations.

#3 I thought out of the box this week and did some things that I hoped would spark some excitement in my boys. We built a zip-line out of paperclips and string like at http://madebyjoel.blogspot.com/2010/07/zip-line-toy.html,
a marble run out of a cereal box like this one http://madebyjoel.blogspot.com/2010/06/cereal-box-marble-run.html
We made sculptures out of floral wire, and, put on a puppet show with some of our old family pictures, cut out with sticks taped to the back.

I read this somewhere....
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the sea.

This week was an awesome week of learning how to "want to learn". I give them an A+!


I am linking this post on http://www.weirdunsocializedhomeschoolers.com/2010/09/weekly-wrap-up-one-with-ducksor-geese.html

2 comments:

  1. Love that quote! There's no doubt in my mind that my son can learn. The bigger challenge is helping to have a passion for it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!
    Thanks for the comment! I have been by your blog before....My son's name is Dawson LOL!

    ReplyDelete